The “Step Up!” seminar, which targets locally elected women, offers training that helps them lay the groundwork for a successful campaign for state legislature. Each seminar includes presentations by experienced political candidates and campaign staff who will share their advice and best practices with seminar participants. A small fee covers the cost of lunch and the seminar notebook.
Stay tuned for upcoming dates and locations to be scheduled for fall 2019.
STEP UP! Program Resources:
- Center for American Women and Politics (CAWP) Poised to Run*
- 2018 CAWP Representation Matters report June*
- Voter Turnout History Graphs*
- Step Up! My Issues Worksheet*
- Step Up! Why Do I Want to Run Worksheet*
- So you Want to Run for Office?
- The Breakdown: Why Women are Running for Office
- Running Start Online
- Why Texting Beats Emailing for GOTV
Step Up! Program
What you need to know before you decide to run for office
I. Step One-Personal
- What are my motives? (Why do I want to run?)
- What issues am I passionate about? Are voters interested in my issues?
- Is my family on board? (Gung Ho or Dead Against?)
II. Step Two-Professional
- What does the job entail? (constituent work, sponsoring legislation, committee responsibilities)
- What is the time commitment? (Session dates, off-season meetings, local forums)
- What is the average salary? Is there a retirement plan? Per Diem? Travel Expense?
- Where do legislators live during session? (apartments, home shares, hotels; how to find)
III. Step Three-Political
- What are my chances of winning? (Analyze demographics)
- Are my currently serving representative and senator planning to run again?
- What experience do I need on my resumé?
- What if I haven’t been active in my party?
- What if I want to run as an Independent?
IV. Step Four-Practical
- What deadlines and regulations do I need to know about?
- How many volunteers do I need and how do I find them?
- Do I have to hire a campaign manager?
- What help can I expect from my party?
- How much money do I need and how can I raise it?
- What should I have in my campaign wardrobe?
Do you have other questions?
Once you are satisfied with the answers to these questions, you are ready to Step Up!