How to Organize a N.U.D.G.E. Party
[No Use Delaying Gender Equity]
What is a NUDGE Party and what is its purpose?
An informal, bipartisan gathering of women and men of any number and any age whose purpose is to raise awareness of the importance of politics in their lives; to encourage them to support women candidates, work in a woman’s campaign, or run for office themselves.
Where is it held?
NUDGE parties are held in people’s homes, offices, churches, schools, hotels, or any place the hosts deem to be a welcoming and appropriate venue.
Who are the hosts?
Individuals, clubs, professional groups, business colleagues or anyone else who thinks electing more women to public office is a worthy goal.
Steps in organizing a NUDGE Party
- Find bipartisan hosts — equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans, so far as possible.
- Draw up a list of people to invite (email and telephone #s will save time later)
- Set the date, time and place
- Decide on snacks/beverages and find an organization to provide them
- Send out invitations (by email or regular mail)
- Follow up with phone calls
- Plan the program* (a 50-50 in 2020 board member will speak)
- Hold the event (have a sign up sheet, name tags)
- Send a follow-up email to thank them for coming and ask them to
Stay in touch.
Welcome by one of the hosts
Ice-breaker (Have each person introduce herself and tell what office she has
Held in the past, currently holds, or would like to hold)
Member of 50-50 in 2020 will explain the 10-year campaign to elect women
To hold half of the seats in the Iowa Legislature and the Iowa
Congressional Delegation, and a woman Governor by the year 2020
(the 100th Anniversary of Women’s Suffrage in this country.)