So — Why don’t more women run?
Women give a number of reasons:
• Concern for family responsibilities
• Doubt about their qualifications
• Fear of media scrutiny
• Disgust with politics
Let’s think about those for a moment:
• You might be surprised to find that your spouse, children, or parents take pride in your decision to run for office.
• Women usually under estimate their own qualifications. Visit the state capitol sometime and talk with our elected officials.
• Unless you’re running for Congress or President, the media is not going to be much interested.
• Politics can be disgusting. But do we really want to leave the lawmaking to people who are not responsive to our concerns?
And there are some rewards:
• Winning an election is a big thrill.
• Lobbying your fellow legislators is more effective than petitioning from the outside.
• Helping constituents with problems is very satisfying.
• Bipartisan collaboration is stimulating.
• Even if you don’t win, you’ll meet a lot of wonderful people and have a great time on the campaign trail.