Step Up! Muscatine October 20th at Rendezvous
October 20 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm$30
The “Step Up!” seminar, which targets locally-elected women, offers training that helps them lay the groundwork for a successful campaign for state legislature. Each seminar will include presentations by experienced political candidates and campaign staff who will share their advice and best practices with seminar participants. A $30 fee covers the cost of lunch and the seminar notebook.
- 10:45 am Registration
- 11:00 am Welcome and Introductions Sue Johannsen, President, Muscatine LWV
- 11:15 am Pathways to Public Office Valerie Hennings, Morningside College, Professor Sioux City Most common backgrounds of women elected to public office
- 11:35 am Step I: Why do you want to run? Jean Lloyd-Jones, Co-chair 50-50 in 2020 How to write and deliver your important “Why?” speech
- 12:00 Lunch
- 12:30 Step II: What does a legislator do? Sally Stutsman, former State Representative from Johnson County Qualifications, salary, time commitment, committee work, passing a bill, a typical day, and other details of a legislator’s job
- 1:00 pm Break
- 1:15 pm Step III: How do you manage a family and/or another career while serving in the legislature? Panel of two State Representatives: Amy Nielsen, Johnson County; Cindy Winkler, Scott County Family involvement in decision to run, participation in the campaign, and adjustment to having a Mom in the legislature; living arrangements in Des Moines, and other personal observations
- 2:00 pm Step IV: What are my chances of winning? Ashley Hinson, State Representative from Linn County How to analyze your district, choose the time to run, increase visibility and prepare yourself for a successful campaign
- 2:25 pm Step V: How do I run a successful campaign? Lauren Whitehead, Solon City Council Quick summary of the ups and downs of a campaign: filing and reporting deadlines, campaign committee, volunteers, fundraising, door-knocking, the joy of winning, the plusses of running, even if you don’t win.
- 2:50 pm Step Up! Build the Bench! Fill the Pipeline! Jean Lloyd-Jones
- 3:00 pm Adjourn